Saturday, August 13, 2016

Spartan Race: Hawaii Ultra Beast August 13, 2016

Hawaii was awesome! Race was located on the main island of Oahu at the Kualoa Ranch. The views were amazing! As soon as I found out that for the UltraBeast they were giving away the UB belt buckle, I registered myself. Prior to the race, Spartan coach training and the hurricane heat were held on friday. After the the 6 hour hurricane heat, there was a luau being held in the festival area. A luau is a traditional feast followed by some entertainment which in this case was fire dancing!
The UltraBeast heat was the first heat to hit the mountains, we started at 06:00am. I slept in a hammock at the venue so I should be prepared. As i stand by the gate with a couple minutes before the start time, i forgot to take any gels! Luckily a friend gave me a gel, which was enough for one lap. I didn't have a hydration pack but it was mandatory to take a personal hydration, so I ended up running with a water bottle. On the first lap I missed the spear toss and got to the transition tent just a couple minutes after 4 hours. At that time I was 13th. As I lay there relaxing for 20 minutes, one guy who was there just before me left - he ended up finishing 4th place! I put on sunscreen, took some gels, my water bottle, and also my glow sticks and headlamp even though it was only 11:00am! They said it was mandatory for the second lap. While running the second lap, I did realize there was a bloody mud bath the entire route on the beast portion of the race. I ended up losing grip on both rope climbs doing 60 burpees. Finished my second lap just under 5 hours. By the end, I can barely lift this hurcules hoist. I had to stand on the rope and give my hands a break. Pretty happy with my 16th place finish! My suunto watch recorded 40km and 3460m of elevation.

No comments:

Post a Comment